I’m excited to be part of the Avon Authors Holiday Recipe Tour this year with my grandma Helen’s Candy Cane Cookies! [NOTE: The holiday loop is down now, but I decided to leave this recipe up because I love it so much] These red and white treats are very pretty, and so moist and almond-y that everyone will love them.
GRANDMA HELEN’S CANDY CANE COOKIES
Click for printer friendly version: Candy Cane Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature – in pieces)
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 large egg yolks (room temperature – don’t beat)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
red food coloring
1. Beat butter with sugar until smooth.
2. Add egg yolks, vanilla, and almond extract.
3. Mix in flour and salt.
4. Divide dough in half and mix red food coloring into one half.
5. Wrap dough balls in plastic and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Form walnut-sized piece of each of the colors of dough.
8. Roll each color of dough separately into a 4.5 inch rope.
9. Place two ropes together, gently press tops, and twist ropes into spiral.
10. Place cookies on parchment-lined (not wax) cookie sheet.
11. Shape into candy canes – place 2 inches apart.
**NOTE: Only do 3 cookies at a time and keep the rest of the dough refrigerated.
12. Place sheet in center of oven and bake 8-10 minutes (until edges are slightly brown).
13. Let cookies cool on sheet before removing them.
Happiest of holidays!